Friday 27 May 2016

Overcoming Discouragement





I recognize for the past couple of weeks, I've been battling with feelings of discouragement trying to attack me. I recognize the attack and sometimes I'm able to overcome it but at other times, it just wears me down and for short periods of time I throw pity parties. 

Feelings of discouragement can be caused by fear of the unknown, failures in your endeavors or frustration about a situation. These situations lead to worry, fatigue, annoyance and ultimately discontentment. 

Honestly, I couldn't pray about the situation because the feelings were truly empowering me.  This time I decided I was not going to Google any sermons or blogs to help get me out of this "feeling" but I reminded myself that I have already been equipped to fight this battle so it's time to use it. 

So how did I overcome these feelings of discouragement?

1) I asked others to pray for me: I'm so glad I'm not too embarrassed or proud to seek prayers and share my feelings. I don’t care about being judged because I need help and I refuse to be defeated. So I sent my friends messages about how I felt and asked them to pray for me. 

Matthew 18:19  - Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in Heaven.

Honestly, I could literally feel the prayers of the saints going up in Heaven on my behalf and the 'feelings' started to leave me. 

2) I listened to worship music: I love music. I believe it opens the atmosphere for the presence of God to dwell. So I started playing some worship music and even though I might not have been praying myself, but the songs were soaking in my subconscious and I felt so encouraged. 

Psalm 108:1 - My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing, I will sing praises, even with my soul.

3) I prayed for others: I felt like I couldn't pray for myself so I didn't. I decided not to focus on myself but instead I started to pray for others. So many people are going through stuff, possibly even worse than I am. So I went in my prayer book and started interceding on their behalf. This was such a blessing for me, as I prayed for others; I know God is already dealing with my issues. 

Overall, I truly had to remind myself of different scriptures and choose to believe God's promises over my life. I won't pretend that the issues disappeared or all the problems have been solved; but daily I choose to believe that His plan for my life is to give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11) and I know Fruit is being produced within me. So, in the process I'm becoming more patient, more faithful, self-controlled, joyful and I do have a peace that surpasses ALL understanding. 

So, I encourage you, if you're feeling discouraged, worried, stressed or simply battling with feelings of disappointments... Try these steps. Ask someone to pray for you, listen to some worship music and take your eyes off your situation by praying for someone else... It will truly help you to become more content in this process as this season won't last. So don't give up!! 

Trust in God's promises.. He's working it out!! 


John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.


God loves you and I love you too!! 

Hope you have a blessed weekend... 


To God to be Glory**** 
Crystal  

Listen to these songs.. They've truly been a blessing to me: 








1 comment:

  1. Yess praying for others help you take your eyes off of your own situation. And Made a Way wrecks me everytime

    ReplyDelete