Monday 30 March 2015

Called to Bible School (Life-changing Year)

I'm sure you have heard of the story of Saul's conversion into the Apostle Paul on the road to Damascus. Well if you have not, Paul was a former Christian persecutor was converted into a Gospel preacher. He was heading in one direction but he had an encounter with Jesus Christ and as a result, his direction changed drastically (Acts 9:1-9). My story is similar to this... 


Sunday March 29, 2015 marked another milestone in my life. It was my fifth graduation exercise in my twenty-seven (27) years of life but I still had to fight back the tears because it was another special moment in my life. 


Being a full-time single mother, working full-time, the chairperson for two ministries at church, a MBA (Masters of Business Administration) student, along with the many other projects I manage. This was my life until April of 2014. Nowhere in my busy schedule or my many plans was bible school even in my thoughts. A friend of mine mentioned it but with my numerous activities it just could not fit in. Then I got the 'call'... Yes... I heard clearly the voice of God saying I should register for Portmore Bible Academy. I made excuses, I hesitated but I started to pray about it because the burden to sign up was getting heavy. I knew I had to be obedient so I decided to trust God to help me "juggle" all the things I had going on 

From the first day I stepped into that class, my life had never been the same. Pastor Peter Malcolm (Director, Founder, Facilitator, Shepherd, Mentor, and Confidant) was so warm and welcoming. He taught all the courses with enthusiasm, vigor, confidence and was Spirit-led. Attending bible school changed everything I thought Christianity was about ... My relationship with God grew stronger and my appetite for righteousness got deeper. The woman I was one year ago is definitely not the same woman I am today. 


Pastor Malcolm and I at graduation 

Some of the most life-changing courses for me included Foundation Doctrine, Stewardship, Practical Ministry, Theology of Purpose, Prayer, Praise and Worship, The Beatitudes, Cults and False Teaching and of course Faith (to name a few). Bible school wasn't just about taking notes and learning theoretical knowledge but the Word of God came alive every week that we met. From the testimonies, devotions, praise and worship sessions, presentations, retreat, anointing service and many discussions. Thursdays became my favorite day of the week because I looked forward to being into the presence of God and learning something new. 

When people hear about bible school, they start asking what my title is. I have no intention to become a Pastor, Reverend, Deaconess or anything of that sort. But I had no plan to even enroll in bible school either. I simply desired a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ and the Lord just turned my plans upside down and I just surrendered because His plans are far greater. I had to give up pursuing my MBA to focus on what God wanted me to do and not what I wanted to do. It really was a bit hard at first but the closer I got to God is the more I learned to trust that His ways are higher than mine. 

A lot of people also ask me about accreditation but God's Word cannot be limited to piece of paper and seeking acceptance of worldly standards. What bible school gave me was far deeper than what I could be taught in a regular theological college. Even though Pastor Malcolm was the facilitator, the Holy Spirit was our Teacher; we weren't taught doctrines but the dynamic Word of God was cemented on our hearts. 

What is next? I have no clue... Just like Paul that had no clue what His new journey would be like, so it is with me. I really just don't know... what I do know is, I must be obedient. So, I might be persecuted, abandoned or wrecked but I stand firm knowing that it will ALL be for the GLORY OF GOD!! 


Pictures from my graduation

 Fearfully and wonderful made...............


Deacon Francis, Pastor Bolt and Lady Bolt supporting me at graduation...


 Graduating Class of Portmore Bible Academy 2015


My beautiful daughter Christelle Garriques & I showing lots of love.....


To God be the Glory****

Crystal 

Feel free to email me: shachene@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment